- The Move-In Process
- Unloading Information
- Parking After Unloading
- Move-In Times for Vehicle Access Through Gates
- Moving Truck and Trailer Restrictions
- Early Arrivals
- Helpful Links
- International Students
- The Move-In Process: Step-by-Step
It's not easy to move 6,000 students into 30 residence halls over the course of just a few days, yet we want to make the move into your Home Under the Dome as stress-free and convenient as possible. To that end, we ask that students read the following information carefully as adhering to the prescribed move-in dates, times, and procedures makes the move-in process faster and smoother for our students while allowing our Building Services, Maintenance, and Hall Staff to prepare the halls to welcome our students well.
You will be assigned a specific move-in time and parking lot. This information will be included on an information card that will be mailed to your home address in early August. It is very important that you bring your card with you, as you will not be allowed to enter campus without it. You must display the card with your name facing up on your vehicle's dashboard.
In order to access campus on move-in day, please report directly to your residence hall's assigned move-in parking lot during your assigned move-in time. This information will be listed below and on the move-in email you receive in late July, and can also be found on the move-in card that will be mailed to your home address in early August. Ushers stationed in the lot will direct vehicles through a one-way traffic pattern to residence halls.
Once at your hall, we ask that you stop, unload your belongings at the curb, and immediately move the vehicle to a perimeter parking lot. Members of the Welcome Weekend Committee and hall community will assist you with unloading and moving belongings to student rooms. Drivers must remain with the vehicle at all times. NO PARKING will be permitted near the halls.
Click here for the Move-In Map.
Access for residents outside their priority times will be available as space and traffic permit, and it may be necessary to unload smaller items from your vehicle while parked in perimeter lots. In order to make the move-in process run smoothly and so we can extend our best welcome to you, please refer to the schedule below to prepare for your arrival. Priority will be given to those residents at the times listed. While pedestrian access from perimeter parking lots to residence halls is always available, vehicle access will be restricted.
Once you are finished unloading, please park in one of our perimeter parking lots.
Wednesday, August 15th
- Students previously approved for Wednesday Move-In: 1:00 - 5:00pm
Thursday, August 16th
- Students previously approved for Thursday Move-In: 10:00am - 1:00pm
Friday, August 17th
- First Year Students "Group 1" Student Move-In: 9 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (Your move-in card mailed in early August will let you know your assigned move-in time.)
- First Year Students "Group 2" Student Move-In: 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Upperclassmen previously approved for Friday Move-In: 1:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Sunday, August 19th
- All Upperclassmen Move-In: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Due to the limited access to the residence halls, the following restrictions have been placed on moving trucks and trailers.
- Trucks whose box is wider than its cab are not permitted on campus
- Cargo and Utility Trailers of all sizes are prohibited on campus.
- Portable Storage Units are prohibited on campus
If you arrive with a prohibited vehicle/trailer or there is not enough room to maneuver your vehicle near your hall for move-in, you will be asked to move your vehicle to the D6 South parking area where you will be asked to unload your belongings. NDSP has a limited number of moving trucks that can assist you in moving your belongings to your residence hall from D6 South. An NDSP official will drive the truck with you and your belongings to your residence hall where you will unload for move-in. Click here for an example of prohibited and permitted moving trucks.
As of July 3, we are no longer able to accommodate Early Arrival requests except in the event of true emergency situations. Any students needing to arrive to campus prior to their move-in date (August 17 for First Year Students, and August 19 for all returning upperclassmen) will be responsible for arranging their own accommodations. We recommend the Sacred Heart Parish Center (http://sacredheartparish.nd.edu/sacred-heart-parish-center/visiting-guests/) as an inexpensive and convenient option for students needing to arrive to campus early.
Please direct any questions or concerns to the Office of Residential Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What To Bring To Campus - What to bring and what not to bring to campus
Fall Mall - shop for carpeting, linens, hangers, futons, and more right on Notre Dame's campus
Please refer to the information you received from the International Student and Scholars Affairs (ISSA) office regarding move-in and on-campus housing during International Student Orientation. Note that international students will not receive a move-in card in early August, and must proceed directly to the Main Gate near the bookstore bus stop on Notre Dame Avenue.
- July 3: Deadline for requesting Early Arrival.
- Late July: an email will be sent to your Notre Dame email with your assigned move-in day, time, and parking lot.
- Early August: an information card containing your staging lot and move-in information will be mailed to your home address in early August.
- Upon arriving to campus, head directly to your assigned move-in lot.
- Display your move-in card prominently face-up on your dashboard.
- Ushers stationed in the lot will direct vehicles through a one-way traffic pattern to residence halls.
- Once at your hall, we ask that you stop, unload your belongings, and immediately move the vehicle to a perimeter parking lot. No parking will be permitted near the halls.
If you have questions that cannot be answered on this page, please visit our FAQ's page or reach out to the Office of Residential Life at email@example.com or (574) 631-5878.