Christmas Break Closing and Move-Out
Preparing our residence halls properly for Christmas break requires the cooperation of many University staff members and students. As you prepare to depart for Christmas break, please read the below information carefully to ensure your room is prepared for the extended vacancy. Students should be in touch with their Rectors for specific information and procedures related to their hall.
Residence Halls officially close for Christmas Break at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 15, 2018. They will re-open again on Sunday, January 13, at 9:00 AM. All students should utilize the Christmas Break Closing Check-List (below) when departing. All students who will not be returning to the hall in January must complete a check out in person with a member of Hall Staff, remove all belongings from the room (so as to permit the room to be cleaned prior to new students moving in), and turn in all room keys before departing.
Christmas Break Check-List
In order to prepare for the extended vacancy in your room, please make certain the following items are completed prior to departing. The last resident to leave the room should post this checklist on the door. Staff members will double-check each room after departure to ensure all items have been completed.
- Close windows tightly and lock all windows.
- Unplug electrical items from all outlets, including desk lights, aquariums, and alarm clocks.
- Clean, defrost, unplug, and prop open the door of the refrigerator. Be sure to allow time for it to melt and dry out!
- Empty trash and recycling, and remove or properly seal food.
- Turn heat on and set at Medium or 70 degrees.
- Remove all holiday decorations
- Remove all personal items from community bathrooms, laundry rooms, showers, etc. for cleaning
- Remove all items from window ledges and heating units to allow for filter replacement.
- If not returning next semester, schedule and complete checkout with Hall Staff, turning in key(s).
- Turn lights off.
- Close and lock room door.
Late Departing Residents
The University does not grant late departure to residents, and is not able to provide housing over Christmas Break for any athletic teams. Residents who fail to vacate the residence hall by 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 15, or who disregard their Rector's check-out instructions, may be charged $50 for each violation, for a maximum charge of $100 per resident.
Room Assignment Changes
Students who will not be returning to their current room assignment in the spring semester for any reason must complete the Check-Out process with their current, fall Rector (which includes removing all belongings from the room, conducting a room inspection with a member of hall staff, and returning all room keys). This must be completed no later than 2:00 PM on Saturday, December 15.
Unexpected Housing Changes
Students with unexpected changes to their housing assignments for the Spring Semester after December 15 (transfer, dismissed, etc.) must contact the Office of Residential Life (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-5878) beginning January 2, 2018 to make arrangements for a Residential Life staff member to meet them during office hours to grant access to their room to pack their belongings. They must move out between January 2 and January 12, 2019. Students should not contact Building Services or NDSP directly to seek entrance to the hall to pack their belongings.