Winter Closing and Move-Out
Students should depart 24 hours after their last final of the fall semester. Residence Halls will close, and all hall access will be turned off for the semester on Friday, December 17 at 12:00 p.m. Students will not have access to their residence hall room until Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.
Residential Life does not grant late departure housing extensions to residents at the end of the semester. Residents who fail to vacate the residence hall by Friday, December 17 at 12:00 p.m., or who disregard their Rector's check-out instructions, may be charged an improper check out fee. We do not permit early arrival housing extensions for the spring semester.
Students returning for Spring semester should not move out of their residence hall room for the Winter break. Students will not have access to residence hall rooms after December 17, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. until Residence Halls open on Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 9:00 a.m. In order to prepare for the extended vacancy in your room, please make certain the following items are completed prior to departing. All roommates are responsible to follow these guidelines and any others provided by Rectors. Hall Staff members will double-check each room after departure to ensure all items have been completed. Building services will enter student rooms during the break to complete routine cleaning.
- Close windows tightly and lock all windows.
- Unplug electrical items from all outlets, including desk lights, aquariums, and alarm clocks.
- Clean, defrost, unplug, and prop open the door of the refrigerator. Be sure to allow time for it to melt and dry out!
- Empty trash and recycling, and remove all food.
- Turn heat on and set at Medium or 70 degrees.
- Remove all holiday decorations.
- Remove all personal items from community bathrooms, laundry rooms, showers, etc. for cleaning.
- Remove all items from window ledges and heating units to allow for filter replacement.
- If not returning next semester, schedule and complete checkout with Hall Staff, turning in key(s).
- Turn lights off.
- Close and lock room door.
- Business/Formal Clothing
- Medications, Contact Lenses/Glasses, Retainers: plan ahead and contact UHS or your health provider for medication refills so that you don’t run out while away from campus.
- Important Documents (passport, social security cards, credit/debit cards)
- Any academic materials (textbooks, graphing calculators, flash drives)
- Laptops/IPads/Game Systems, including their chargers
- Residence Hall keys and Student ID
Residential Life and NDPD will not grant access for students to retrieve personal items after the closing of the residence halls. There will be no access to the hall for students until halls open for the spring semester on Sunday, January 9 at 9:00 a.m.
Students not returning to the Residence Hall
All students who will not be returning to the hall in January must complete a check out in person with a member of Hall Staff, remove all belongings from the room (so as to permit the room to be cleaned prior to new students moving in), and turn in all room keys before departing. Students should contact their Rector for additional instructions.
- Ensuring that all correct furniture has been returned to the room to its original configuration.
- Unlofting any beds that have been lofted.
- Returning bed space to its original configuration as found at the beginning of the year.
- Ensuring all personal belongings are removed and room is cleaned.
- Removing all trash to the dumpster located closest to your building.
Returning all keys,including mailbox keys, when applicable. Keys not returned at check-out will result in a $100 lost key charge to your student account.
Room Assignment Changes
Students who will not be returning to their current room assignment in the spring semester for any reason must complete the check-out process with their current Rector. Students are expected to completely move-out of their fall residence hall assignment,: which includes removing all belongings from the room, conducting a room inspection with a member of hall staff, and returning all room keys. Students must complete this process by Friday, December 17 at 12:00 p.m.
Unexpected Housing Changes
Students with unexpected changes to their housing assignments for the spring semester after December 17, 2021 (transfer, dismissed, etc.) must contact the Office of Residential Life (email@example.com or 574-631-5878). The Office of Residential Life will be closed beginning December 24, 2021 and will re-open January 3, 2022 for the University's Christmas Celebration.
Published 8.31.2021; Updated 10.4.2021