Winter Closing and Move-Out
Residence Halls will close for the fall 2021 semester on Friday, December 17 at 2:00 p.m. Students should depart 24 hours after their last final, and no later than 2:00 p.m. on December 17. No Late Departures are permitted for the Winter Break.
Please know all information regarding move-in is subject to change based on evolving COVID-19 protocols and policies. Additional information will be updated as it becomes available.
Hall Closing Check-List
Students returning for Spring semester should not move out of their residence hall room for the Winter break. Students will not have access to residence hall rooms after December 17, 2021 at 2:00 p.m. until Residence Halls open on Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 9:00 a.m. In order to prepare for the extended vacancy in your room, please make certain the following items are completed prior to departing. All roommates are responsible to follow these guidelines and any others provided by Rectors. Hall Staff members will double-check each room after departure to ensure all items have been completed.
- Close windows tightly and lock all windows.
- Unplug electrical items from all outlets, including desk lights, aquariums, and alarm clocks.
- Clean, defrost, unplug, and prop open the door of the refrigerator. Be sure to allow time for it to melt and dry out!
- Empty trash and recycling, and remove all food.
- Turn heat on and set at Medium or 70 degrees.
- Remove all holiday decorations
- Remove all personal items from community bathrooms, laundry rooms, showers, etc. for cleaning
- Remove all items from window ledges and heating units to allow for filter replacement.
- If not returning next semester, schedule and complete checkout with Hall Staff, turning in key(s).
- Turn lights off.
- Close and lock room door.
When leaving for the winter break, please remember to pack these commonly forgotten items:
- Business/Formal Clothing
- Medications (including contact lenses and retainers): plan ahead and contact UHS or your health provider for medication refills so that you don’t run out while away from campus.
- Important Documents (passport, social security cards, credit/debit cards)
- Any academic materials (textbooks, graphing calculators, flash drives)
- Laptops/IPads/Game Systems (including their chargers)
Late Departing Residents and Accommodations
Residential Life does not grant late departure requests to residents at the end of the semester. Residents who fail to vacate the residence hall by 2:00 p.m. on Friday, December 17, or who disregard their Rector's check-out instructions, may be charged an improper check out fee.
Students not returning to the Residence Hall
All students who will not be returning to the hall in January must complete a check out in person with a member of Hall Staff, remove all belongings from the room (so as to permit the room to be cleaned prior to new students moving in), and turn in all room keys before departing. Students should contact their Rector for additional instructions.
- Ensuring that all correct furniture has been returned to the room to its original configuration.
- Unlofting any beds that have been lofted
- Returning bed space to its original configuration as found at the beginning of the year
- Ensuring all personal belongings are removed and room is cleaned
- Removing all trash to the dumpster located closest to your building
Returning all keys (including mailbox keys, when applicable); keys not returned at check-out will result in a $100 lost key charge to your student account
Room Assignment Changes
Students who will not be returning to their current room assignment in the spring semester for any reason must complete the Check-Out process with their current, fall Rector (which includes removing all belongings from the room, conducting a room inspection with a member of hall staff, and returning all room keys). This must be completed no later than 2:00 PM on Friday, December 17.
Unexpected Housing Changes
Students with unexpected changes to their housing assignments for the Spring Semester after December 17 (transfer, dismissed, etc.) must contact the Office of Residential Life (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-5878).