Spring 2021 Move-Out
|March 25, 2021||Housing Extension request form available for eligible students|
|April 26, 2021||Deadline to submit a Housing Extension request for a Late Departure|
|May 14 - May 19, 2021||Final Exam Week (students are required to vacate their spring housing assignment no more than 24 hours following their last exam)|
|Thursday, May 20, 2021||Residence Halls close to all students not approved for a Housing Extension at 2:00 p.m.|
|May 21 - May 23, 2021||Commencement Weekend|
|Monday, May 24, 2021||Residence Halls close for all students who were granted a Housing Extension at 12:00 p.m.|
Class of 2021 Commencement
Information regarding the Class of 2021 Commencement is available here.
Exam Schedule (click here for campus access and parking information)
Students are required to vacate their spring housing assignment no more than 24 hours after their last final exam. Please see the Registrar's Office for the final exam schedule.
Residential Life will partner with the COVID Response Unit regarding university protocols for COVID-19 Exit Testing. All students should expect to vacate their hall within 24 hours of their last final exam and follow all university guidelines for surveillance and exit testing. At this time we do not anticipate the use of an appointment system for students to check out of their Residence Hall. Rectors will provide additional guidance to residents of their hall. All timelines and procedures for spring 2021 move-out are subject to change based on University protocol and procedures and the current status of COVID-19 on campus. Additional information regarding exit testing and move-out will be updated as it becomes available. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility as we work to support our students safe return to their home communities and families. Updates to University Policy will be published at the HERE site.
Preparation for Room Inspections
All rooms will be inspected for critical repairs and damages. Any student whose room is not ready for inspection by the communicated time for your hall will be charged a $100 improper checkout fee. Students will also be charged for any damages to their space.
Students will receive more hall-specific information about necessary steps to prepare and vacate their spaces closer to move out. Some of the preparations for move out will include:
- Remove all personal items from your room before your departure.
- Return and reassemble all university furniture that was in your room upon arrival. All furniture must be de-lofted and returned to its original configuration prior to your check-out, or you will be charged an improper check-out fee.
- Clean your room thoroughly, removing and properly disposing of all trash and other debris.
- Follow all individual hall policies, as communicated by your Hall Staff, regarding room preparation, inspections, and move out.
Packing and Cleaning Tips
Here are some helpful hints to make the process easier (and to help you avoid improper check-out charges!):
- Start early, and plan ahead: Begin taking or sending items home that you will not need for the rest of the year. Residence halls close at 2:00 PM on Thursday, May 20, and students who are not approved to remain in their spring housing assignment for commencement weekend will be required to move out at that time.
- Boxes: Find boxes to pack your belongings into to make the move easier and faster
- Trash/Recycling: Trash should be thrown away in the trash room/dumpster. Note that there is a fee for trash removal should any be left behind in your room.
- Goodwill: The University has partnered with Goodwill Industries of Michiana to expand the reach of student donations in the region. Donations for Goodwill such as clothing and electronics should be placed in blue plastic bags that will be provided to each hall. Halls will have a designated location for donations. Larger items, such as bicycles, futons, desks, carpet and refrigerators may also be left for donation in the designated area.
- Food Bank: Donate your non-perishable, unopened food items to the Food Bank of Northern Indiana by placing donations in the orange Food Bank barrels in your hall's lobby areas.
Students are permitted to have two guests in the hall to assist with their move-out. All guests must maintain physical distancing and wear masks.
Storing your Items Over Summer
Students are not permitted to store any belongings in their residence hall over the summer, and the University of Notre Dame does not offer any on-campus storage. There are, however, a variety of off-campus storage facilities and solutions available to students in the South Bend area.
Students are encouraged to contact and secure any needed off-campus storage well in advance of move out. Before making plans, be sure to review policies restricting Truck and Trailer access to campus.
Please see this page for more information regarding Housing Extensions for Spring 2021 Commencement.
Quarantine and Isolation
Students in quarantine and isolation housing after the halls close will be contacted regarding instructions to move out of their residence hall once they are released by the COVID Response Unit.
Campus Dining meal plans will be active until 11:59 p.m. on May 23, 2020.