Spring Closing and Move-Out
Spring 2023 Important Dates
|Wednesday, February 1||Late Departure Housing Extension request form available for eligible students and University groups|
|Monday, April 3||Deadline to submit Late Departure Housing Extension form for students and University groups|
|May 4 - 12||Reading Days and Final Exams (students are required to vacate their spring housing assignment no more than 24 hours following their last exam)|
|Saturday, May 13||Residence Halls Close for Undergraduate Students, 12:00 p.m.|
|May 13 - May 22||Senior Week Housing|
|May 19 - May 21||Commencement Weekend|
|Monday, May 22||Residence Halls close for all students who were granted a Housing Extension at 12:00 p.m.|
Class of 2023 Commencement
Information regarding the Class of 2023 Commencement will be available from the Registrar's Office as it becomes available. Graduating seniors are approved for a Late Departure Housing Extension and may remain in their spring residence hall assignment until Monday, May 22 at 12:00 p.m. Graduating seniors do not need to request a late departure housing extension. Siblings of graduating seniors should review the late departure housing extension request process.
Students are required to vacate their spring housing assignment no more than 24 hours after their last final exam or Saturday, May 13 at 12:00 p.m. More information will be available from the Registrar's Office.
Late Departure Housing Extension
More information is available at our Late Departure Housing Extension website. All requests are due Monday, April 3; late requests will not be considered.
Packing and Cleaning Tips
- Start early, and plan ahead: Begin taking or sending items home that you will not need for the rest of the year. If you are leaving for Easter break, leave only essential items in your residence hall for the remainder of the semester. Residence Halls close for all students 24 hours after their last final or Saturday, May 13 at 12:00 p.m.
- Boxes: Find boxes to pack your belongings into to make the move easier and faster.
- Trash/Recycling: Trash should be thrown away in the trash room/dumpster. Note that there is a fee for trash removal should any be left behind in your room.
- Goodwill: The University has partnered with Goodwill Industries of Michiana to expand the reach of student donations in the region. Donations for Goodwill such as clothing and electronics should be placed in blue plastic bags that will be provided to each hall. Halls will have a designated location for donations. Larger items, such as bicycles, futons, desks, carpet and refrigerators may also be left for donation in the designated area.
- Food Bank: Donate your non-perishable, unopened food items to the Food Bank of Northern Indiana by placing donations in the orange Food Bank barrels in your hall's lobby areas.
Storing your items over Summer
Students are not permitted to store any belongings in their residence hall over the summer, and the University of Notre Dame does not offer any on-campus storage. There are a variety of off campus storage facilities and solutions available to students in the South Bend area. Students hiring moving or storage companies for move-out are encouraged to schedule the pick up of their items when staging lots are not open.