The resident assistant (RA) is a senior or graduate student who serves in a residence hall and lives side by side with the residents. The RA is assigned to work in a particular residence hall and is under the immediate direction of the hall’s rector. The RA is involved in helping students live together productively in the residence hall.
Although the exact responsibilities of the RA may vary between communities, in every hall, the RA is called to be a minister, educator, and professional, which includes serving as a public and visible role model within the residence hall and campus community at all times.
- Participate in a daily duty schedule during the evening hours arranged with and approved by the rector of the hall
- Build relationships with residents to sufficiently be able to provide direct assistance or provide appropriate referrals in a variety of areas, such as academic, spiritual, social, or personal
- Help maintain an atmosphere of friendly community living by enforcing University policy in accordance with du Lac and Student Life policies/procedures
- Show leadership by the example
- Attend and participate in hall staff meetings
Applications for the 2022-2023 academic year will open on Wednesday, November 24, 2021.
New Users: Go to eRezLife and create an account by following the steps below. Existing eRezLife users, skip to the "Begin Application Process" steps below.
- Click on “Create Account”
- Input: First, Last Name, NDID or Phone Number, Email address
- Click: “Register Account”
- Check email for message from eRezlife
- Click on link in email
- Check email for message from eRezlife with username and password creation link
- Click on link in email to create password
- Create password
- Enter username and password into eRezlife login box
Begin Application Process
- Click on “My Job Profile” to complete demographic information
- Click “Save”
- Click on “My Job Profile Questions” to complete demographic information
- Click “Save”
- Click on “Job Postings”
- Click on 2022-2023 Resident Assistant link
- Click on “Apply Now” button
- Complete and click through the application form by following the arrowed link at the bottom right.
- Be sure to complete all 3 sections: “questions” and “supporting docs” and “submit”
- Click submit once all the information has been entered
If you have any trouble accessing the application or recommendation form please contact Residential Life at 574-631-5878. Please note, the application will not be available until Wednesday, November 24, 2021.
Resident assistants are granted a waiver of room and board in exchange for their work as an RA. The RA benefit in 2020-2021 was valued at $15,940 (cost of room and meal plan).
RA benefits are not considered taxable income. The benefit is tax free because it is provided to the RA for the convenience of the University, meals are furnished on University premises, and the RA is required to live in an assigned room in the residence hall as a condition of their employment.
Information for Students Receiving Financial Aid
RAs who receive financial aid administered by the University, should be aware of the following:
- University Scholarships are not typically affected; however, the total value of the RA benefit and other financial aid may not exceed the student's cost of attendance
- Students who serve as RAs may hold additional work study positions on campus but no more than 10 hours per week. Approval must be given by Director of Residential Life for Residential Education, Breyan Tornifolio.
- The benefit that RAs receive may affect eligibility for federally subsidized loans. You may want to contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss your specific situation. The Office of Financial Aid is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and is located in Main Building. You may reach the office at 574-631-6436 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- RAs must participate in formation and orientation in the spring preceding their appointment and hall staff formation in August.
- Spring Formation: you will have 4, 1 hour sessions to attend in consecutive weeks. You will be assigned a group based on your schedule. We being the week of March 20 (after Spring Break) and conclude week of April 10 (before Easter).
- August Formation in 2022 is Sunday, August 7- Friday, August 12, 2022. Participation is required for all staff. These dates are subject to change based on the Academic Calendar.
- Because RAs may serve as first responders in many medical emergencies, it is important that they possess basic first aid skills. Supplemental first aid training will be required by August 31.
If you have questions, please contact Residential Life at (574) 631-5878.
Wednesday, November 24:
Applications available online.
Thursday, January 13, 2022:
Application deadline. Completed application must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m.
Tuesday, January 18:
Recommendation deadline. Three completed recommendations must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m.
Saturday, January 15- Friday, February, 18:
RA Interviews conducted.
Tuesday, February 22:
Rectors will announce RAs for upcoming academic year.
Being an RA is an incredible opportunity to build leadership skills and to serve the Notre Dame community. Any senior candidate who takes part in the process, and is willing to be considered to serve as an RA outside their own Residence Hall, will be invited to participate in an 'all hall' interview process on either Tuesday, February 1 or Wednesday, February 2. You will be considered for your home Residence Hall first and will NOT be penalized for participating in the 'all hall' process. If you desire to be an RA, first in your own hall, and if not selected, in another hall on campus, then we will help facilitate that process. More information will follow.
Candidates will need to complete the Background Check information online through HireRight. Candidates will receive an email from HireRight and need to enter their information within 24 hours of receiving the email.